Advent Leads Our Hearts
Rev. Elana Keppel Levy, 2018
(Tune of “Watchman, Tell Us of the Night”)
ABERYSTWYTH (Joseph Parry, 1876)
1. Advent leads our hearts to hope, when we wander lost, alone.
Though we in the darkness grope, we trust in a savior known.
Righteous Branch and Son of Man, breaking through this world of sin.
Life and justice in his hand, remakes all without, within.
2. Advent leads our hearts to peace, when the way seems rough, unclear
When fear and violence will not cease, we know that our God draws near.
Messenger of covenant, tell us of the Holy Son:
Who self-righteousness confronts, shaping us to live as one.
3. Advent leads our hearts to joy, when we need a festal song.
God renews each girl and boy, with a gladness bold and strong.
Shame removed and lame restored, outcasts gathered safely home –
We rejoice in God, the Lord, let us make our praises known!
4. Advent leads our hearts to love, when we need God’s tender care.
We’re the flock of One above – our good shepherd, always there.
Mighty One, to us be near as you were to Mary mild.
Let us serve you without fear, as we await the heavenly child.
5. Advent leads our hearts to Christ, we have seen a great light.
You have shattered sin’s device, that would keep us in the night.
Counselor and Mighty God, Ever Father, Prince of Peace,
By your grace we’re filled with awe, let our praise of you increase.
~Rev. Elana Keppel Levy, Trinity Presbyterian Church in Bixby, Okla.
Attached: PDF of the lyrics with musical score formatted for half-page legal bulletins (7″ x 8.5″)
Leave a Reply